Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Worst Invention Ever

Car carts are the worst invention ever. Seriously.


Yes, I know they do a pretty good job of occupying kids during a long and boring trip to the grocery store. I know that kids love them. In fact, that is part of my problem. My kid loves them a little too much. In fact, he refuses to even get IN the regular cart if we go to our usual grocery store, Publix.

Since Dan and I carpool, we also usually do the food shopping together. It definitely tends to get done faster. One of us can concentrate on keeping Haeden occupied and the other can grab what we need. A few months ago, Dan thought it would be fun to introduce Haeden to the car cart. Of course he loved it and has not forgotten about it since. I think I may have mentioned the last time I tried to take him shopping by myself.

I tried to be nice and put him in that horrid, germy cart that weighs about 5,000 lbs. I strapped him in and, grocery list in hand, made a beeline for the sliding doors. I figured that between the car cart and the free cookie, I was in for a pretty easy solo shopping experience. I was wrong. So, so wrong.

Before I could even maneuver the monstrosity of a cart inside, I just about knocked over the flower display just outside the door. Once I passed that obstacle, I almost ran down the manager standing just inside. It was a tad embarrassing, to say the least. I decided it was just too much. I grabbed Haeden and asked the guy to put the cart back for me. Then I marched over to the regular, less "fun" cart with my already kicking and screaming child. No begging, pleading or coaxing could shut him up. So, I did all I could do and picked him back up, smiled at all of the onlookers taking in the show and walked back out to the car. He continued to throw a fit the entire way home. When I pulled into the driveway, he was still screaming and hollering, so I took out my camera and recorded a little snippet. Then I played it back for him, and you know what?! He stopped! He got a very concerned look on his face and said, "Wha happen?! Baby crying?!" Funny how quickly they can turn on/off those waterworks.




Okay, so that happened like over a month ago. I don't know why I thought yesterday would turn out any differently. It didn't. The only change was that I didn't even try the car cart. I attempted to distract him from them instead. I figured out of sight, out of mind. But, no. That was so not the case.


I'm not exactly sure how to handle this situation. Do I have to bring my hubby with me every time I shop? Is the only other alternative to leave H with someone else while I run to Publix? Is it too much to ask the bag boy to push the cart around the store rather than just to my car?! Or, am I going to have to change grocery stores? Say it isn't so!! I cannot go back to the dreaded Wal-Mart Super Center!

2 Talk To Me:

the Momma Bird said...

if i didn't know any better i think we have the same child. i LOATHE that stupid cart too!!!!! i am always so glad when i see that another mom has had to take on the challenge of it. it's horrid! and if we don't get it my son gets that same screaming face. ugh. but how is it that when my husband takes him - nothing - no screaming - no fits. fabulous huh? hang in there. eventually they'll grow out of it - right?!
i'm your newest follower :)
www.jandmparrott.blogspot.com

Ashley said...

Ooooh one of our stores has those car carts and we haaaate them! I run into all sorts of displays! If my husband is with us I make him drive. Though our daughter (almost 4yrs) is pretty easy to talk out of riding in it.