You know what sucks about being a full-time working mother? Well, if you ask me, everything except the paycheck and a handful of great people you get to hang out with during the day.
Okay, I’m being dramatic and I’m mostly joking. Mostly. In these “tough economical times” I, of course, am thankful to be employed. Me staying at home is just not an option for my family, unless maybe we all agree to a strict canned-food only diet and, you know, stop wearing pants. It might be easy to convince my hubby and our two-year-old on that last one, but I just can’t get my stepsons to agree to it. Crap!
So, here’s what makes it really hard. Childcare is expensive, yes. And obviously I really hate that I miss out on spending so much time with my little guy. I work the regular 8-5 and then our evenings feel like just another list of things that have to be completed. Dinner? Check. Dishes? Check. Bath? Check! The weekends are more of the same. Gotta get the house cleaned and the lawn mowed, need to run this errand, need to fit in time for playing at the park or visiting family. I wish I didn’t have to schedule fun, but sometimes that’s exactly what I do! I often feel pangs of jealousy when I read about or talk with stay-at-home-mom’s. I know their life isn’t exactly easy, but you know, the grass is always greener, right?
It’s even harder still when my Haeden gets sick. He has allergies that quickly turn into colds that turn into ear infections and yadda, yadda, yadda. He goes to a licensed at-home daycare during the day and while I feel like he is exposed to less than he would be at a larger daycare, he still brings home more than his fair share of illnesses. Kids just don’t want to share anything these days except for their germs, right?! So what happens when he gets sick? I stay home to take care of him. I try to utilize family when possible, but since I can’t schedule his illnesses, they aren’t always available. Honestly though, when my baby is sick, I want to be the one to take care of him. What mother doesn’t?
Well, apparently I need to learn to be that mother. I got my hand slapped at work today because over the past year I have had too many unscheduled absences. Apparently they keep track of why I am out because it was brought to my attention that it’s usually due to taking care of the “sick kid”. I understand where they are coming from, I really do. However, that doesn’t make it any easier. Do I really have to choose between my child and my job? Is that what being a working mother is really about?
And in related news, I'm totally playing the lotto this week...
1 Talk To Me:
Oh I am soooooo feeling you on this post! I too am a full time working mom and feel the same way. Luckily both sets of grandparents are the babysitters and my job is extremely flexible if she gets sick. I am able to work from home on those days. Gah do those people that keep track not have kids or does their job comes first? My family will always come first when they need me ya know!
Post a Comment