Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Seester Vacay

Well, looks like I took a little unintentional bloggy break for a bit there, eh? The week before last I was sick and also preparing for my upcoming vacation. And then last week I was actually enjoying my vacation/ seester time. I don't get enough of either of those. Something I really need to remedy.

My sister, Robyn, is an 8 hour drive away. Add in a small dog and a toddler and it becomes roughly 10 hours. All I can say is thank goodness for benadryl and miniature bottles of alcohol portable DVD players. I normally try to limit "moobie" time, but when it comes to road tripping, all bets are off!


 You want to tune into a tiny screen for 8 hours today? Be my guest! You want to eat sugary snacks and play with ridiculously loud and annoying electronic toys 10 inches from my ears while I'm trying to take a nap?! Sure, go ahead. Anything to keep you quiet, kid. Anything at all!


I'll let the pictures tell the story...


Wondering why I won't leave him in peace.

Bought that travel pillow for Haeden, but I stole it. It wasn't really comfortable for either of us. Maybe if it didn't have a big HEAD on it.

Itsy and her Einstein look.

The very first thing we HAD to do was let H ride Uncle Josh's tractor. In his mind, this was the whole reason for visiting!

 Maxi skirt and glittery sandals and I still hiked all over their land. Two points for the city girl!

Blackberries!

Haeden picking something other than his nose for once!

 H and his favorite doggy, Itsy.

Auntie Robyn and H enjoying the McDonald's play place. It smelled like pee in there and Robyn totally stuck her hand in something wet. Totally grossed us all out!


Warning: Do not look directly at my legs. Permanent blindness could occur.

 Don't look at hers either.

 Part of Flanagan Dam.

The guys. I'm pretty sure John is in the process of busting his ass here!

Juuust the two of us...



Maybe half of the stairs to Birch Knob. The winding mountain road to get there was just plain scary. Everyone was car sick. We almost took out a couple guys on horses. Then we came to this. Stairs galore. And you know I had to carry Haeden up the majority of them. Also, I got stung by a yellow jacket.

 Love this shot. Robyn is in the background looking down at us.

The view was worth it all. So beautiful. You can see Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. On a clear day, you can even see Ohio. I had no idea which was which, of course, but it was still pretty cool.




Other than the fact that Haeden whined "Mooooommmmmyyyy" about two trillion times in the course of 6 days, it was a great trip. He was my little parasite the entire time. He didn't want anyone else to push his stroller, carry him, hold his hand, help him bathe... nada.

I wish I had taken more pictures, but that is pretty much always the case. In the end, it's always better to participate and really enjoy yourself than it is to have three hundred pictures anyway.


The trip home took forevah and evah. I would advise anyone and everyone to stay off the roads the Saturday after the 4th of July. It isn't pretty.  We were delayed 30-40 miles outside of Colombia, SC due to an accident. We sat in the same spot for over an hour. Cars were over-heating all around us. Luckily we had plenty of snacks and drinks stocked in the car. We even handed out a bottle of water some poor guy next to us. He had no AC and it didn't look like he or his car were going to make it. We did have to entertain ourselves though. John grabbed a Burger King crown and we declared him "King of the Road". He wore it for quite a while and we had all but forgotten about it until we realized the people in the car next to us were laughing and trying to take a picture! The driver pretended to bow down to him once we realized they were staring! That's one way to make friends! ha!

I already miss my sister, and the mountains, too. Luckily she'll be down next month for my birthday. I think we will get to see each other this year a total of 4 times, which is twice more than usual. If you ask us, it's still not enough... but we will take (and be thankful for) what we can get!






2 Talk To Me:

Ashley said...

Over Memorial Day while we were camping for 4 days with my inlaws Kiera clung to me like crazy. You could tell that she really misses me. Stupid full time office job! Still I soaked up her clingyness. Cause you know one day in the not too distant future we won't be their world anymore. :O(

Contemplating Beauty said...

your hubby is so cute with that crown on, I love it!

Looks like it was a great trip all in all and very pretty---your son and doggy are just TOO cute! Welcome home--and I'm sorry you were sick the week before you left...glad you're better hon!