Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Insert Screaming and Flailing Here

True to his two year-old self, Haeden was in Baby Rambo mode this weekend. The Hubs and I had Friday off in an attempt to take all three boys on a little adventure to see the second-to-last shuttle launch that was supposed to go off that afternoon. However, as luck would have it, we got half way down there and found out it was cancelled. Thank Jeebus for our fancy new internet phones or we wouldn't have had a clue.

Anyway, due to all of the excitement, Haeden didn't have a proper nap that day. Annnd he decided to go ahead and make that the theme for the entire weekend. He refused a nap Saturday and Sunday, too. And do you know how a napless two year-old acts come 4pm? It's like living in my own little psych ward. Maniacal laughing and then sobbing and whining because someone isn't wearing their shoes. Or because they have milk instead of juice. It's not pleasant. I'd rather hang out with a menstruating teenager.

Yeah, so back to the story at hand. I took Haeden for a car ride Sunday evening just to get him out of the house and give the rest of a family a little break. Plus, H is usually pretty happy in the car. He loves to point all of the different trucks, motorcycles, vans and construction equipment passing by. I ran into a couple of stores a few miles from the house and he was a complete angel, of course. I'm glad that he usually saves the Mr. Hyde side for when we're at home. 

On the way home I'm just driving along and talking to Haeden about who-knows-what when I feel a little tickling sensation on my foot. I shake it once or twice but it doesn't go away. In fact, the sensation starts moving further up towards my ankle. I look down and realize it's a palmetto bug. Yeah, a PALMETTO BUG.


I couldn't exactly panic here. I mean, my baby was in the back seat and I was driving. I did, however, scream at the top of my lungs for a good while. Since I couldn't see the little bugger very well AND I was wearing flip flops, I ended up pulling over to the side of the road so that I could kill it and then flick it out the wide open car door. Thankfully there weren't many cars on the road at the time because I might have taken a few people out trying to get over to the emergency lane before that thing started crawling on me again. Or, god forbid, flying around the car.

As I closed the door and put my seatbelt back on, Haeden called to me from the backseat. "Mommy, wha happen?!" I told him there was a big bug on me and then he screamed at the top of his lungs and started laughing at me. God, he's such a boy!

0 Talk To Me: