Monday, April 4, 2011

Thirty Day Song Challenge: Days 4, 5, 6 & 7 - Whew!

This past week and weekend got a little hectic for me and the family, so I’m playing catch up today...


Day 4: A Song That Makes You Sad

I was discussing this one on the way home the other night with the Hubs and kiddos when I decided to grab the CD case laying at my feet. These questions kind of put me on the spot and my natural response is to completely forget every song I’ve ever heard. Anyway, as soon as I came upon David Cook’s album (Yes, the guy from American Idol. Don’t laugh – he’s good. I promise!) I knew exactly what to choose.

“Permanent”

Is this the moment where
I look you in the eye?
Forgive my broken promise that you`ll never see me cry
And everything
It will surely change
Even if I tell you I won`t go away today

Will you think that you`re all alone
When no one`s there to hold your hand?
And all you know seems so far away

And everything is temporary
Rest your head
I`m permanent

I know he`s living in hell
Every single day
And so I ask, oh God
Is there some way for me to take his place?

And when they say it`s all touch and go
I wish I could make it go away
But still you say

Will you think that you`re all alone
When no one`s there to hold your hand?
When all you know seems so far away
And everything is temporary
Rest your head

I`m permanent
I`m permanent

Is the moment where I look you in the eye?
Forgive my promise that you`ll never see me cry...

The song is written about his brother who was dying of brain cancer at the time. He has since passed on. Anyone who has ever lost someone they loved can relate to it, I’m sure. And this week the song has definitely had a little extra meaning for us. My husband lost a colleague, mentor and friend on Wednesday. He left behind two great kids. His son is only twenty-two and is now the guardian of his 16 year-old sister. Peter was an amazing father and just a great guy all around. A lot of people loved him and thankfully his children are receiving a huge amount of love and support from them at this time. And hopefully always. It breaks my heart just to think about them right now.


Day 5: A Song That Reminds You of Someone

Okay, I didn’t mean to depress you with that last one, but it’s hard not to be right now. This answer should make up for it though. You know, because it embarrasses the hell out of me.
I chose Faith Hill’s "Breathe" because it reminds me of my first boyfriend. Which makes me giggle uncontrollably because how freaking corny is that!? I was sixteen and he was my best friend’s older brother. I had been crushing on him for, like, 4 years before he decided he liked me, too (side note: I think it started because his friend started showing me attention and he got jealous). So, obviously, since his sister was my bestie I was over at their house pretty much every weekend whether we were together or not. I remember one particular evening when I snuck into his room while everyone was asleep (except Amy, she was totally onto us and probably rather grossed out). We were making out (duh!) and the TV was on in the background. Obviously it was either really late or really early because they were actually playing music videos and Faith Hill’s Breathe came on. I guess he was trying to be romantic and jumped up and asked me to dance with him in the middle of his room. He thought that it should be “our song”. I’m sure at the time I thought he was, “Like, the sweetest boyfriend EVER!!!” Now, however, I realize he was probably just trying to get into my pants.
P.S. He did not get into my pants. Just wanted to clarify. Hehe


Day 6: A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere

Okay, so this “somewhere” might be stretching it a little bit, but whatever. It counts. I have mentioned before that I went to the LDS (Mormon) church for a good chunk of my childhood. Most Sunday’s my mother, sister and I would go to my grandparent’s house and then drive with them to church. My grandmother listens to the MOST awful music station ever. That, coupled with the smell of her leather seats and jerky driving, made me want to puke my guts out every week. We eventually found a compromise when she bought the Phantom of the Opera CD. And to thank her for it, I would sing along to the title track. You know grandma’s. They love to hear their grandchildren’s angelic voices, right?!



Wrong. Grandma regularly tells all of us that we can’t hold a tune when we call and sing to her every year on her birthday. Well, because of this, I found it to be quite funny to sing as loudly and as off key as I possibly could (yeah, not hard). Sometimes dogs would bark if we passed them with the windows open. It was awesome. Everyone loved me.


Day 7: A Song That Reminds You of an Event

I know these guys are kind of thought of as arrogant bastards since at least one of them made a comment about being “better than the Beatles,” or whatever, but I still like quite a few of their songs. “Wonderwall,” in particular, reminds me of the first vacation I ever took with a group of friends. It was the summer before our senior year and four of us took a roadtrip to the Outer Banks to lounge around and visit with one of the girl’s grandparents. We listened to a lot of music on that drive, but for some reason every time I hear this song it brings me back. I remember at one point my friend almost ran me over when I jumped out of the car to shoo some seagulls away (they were NOT moving, you guys!). I also remember pretending to be Charlie’s Angels in some warehouse on the marina (I’m sure there is still some photographic evidence out there somewhere) and taking outdoor showers, and meeting boys on the beach. Also, lots of Skipbo.

2 Talk To Me:

spaceface01 said...

Hahaha, you're a huge dork! xoxoxo!

Amy Lynn said...

Awww Billy really is a good guy but yeah....