Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The State of Things

When I made the resolution to take on more house projects this year I wasn't actually asking for water leaks under the driveway (hello $350 JEA bill/ tip-off), a smashed fence or dents and holes in the sunroom’s roof due to falling trees from the bank-owned house next door. I don’t know what the Universe is thinking, but this isn’t the best start to 2011, folks.

Almost two weeks ago we came home after work and noticed some tire tracks in the yard next door. It looked like a truck had driven through their yard and then parked in between our two houses. It was fairly dark and we had a car full of kids plus dinner, so Hubby didn’t investigate until the following day. His findings did not exactly please me.

It appears as though someone was hired to remove a dead tree from the back yard next door. We have no idea who, of course, but in the process of doing so they apparently had a large part of the tree fall onto our fence, completely smashing it, and onto the roof of our sunroom. The roof was littered with debris and is now sporting several dents and a large gash, which obviously means it’s going to leak like a sieve. We were under the impression that it is illegal to destroy someone’s property and then walk away without leaving any contact information or anything, but when Hubby tried to file a police report they told him it wasn’t their problem and that it was up to us to contact our homeowner’s insurance to have it fixed. That doesn’t sound right to me, but who are we to argue with the police?

We think we have figured out who the bank is that owns the property (the house is in foreclosure) but they, of course, are not returning our calls. I have a sneaking suspicion that I am going to have to march myself into one of the local branches and make a scene. I can’t decide if I should cry or yell. Which do you think is more effective?

And now, because that isn’t enough stress, we probably have a leak. Under our driveway?! I didn’t even know these things happened. Hubby went to pay our electric/water bill yesterday and the amount was around $200 more than usual. We were expecting it to be high since it has been unusually cold this winter, but that was pretty insane. After looking over the statement a little more, he realized we were being charged for 16000 gallons of water when we usually average around 4000. When he called to see if there may have been a mistake, they told us it was probably a leak. We hoped and prayed it was just a toilet. Hubby could fix that with a trip to Home Depot. But, as luck would have it, it seems to be more complicated than that. Much, much more.

We learned this morning that JEA covers to the meter and our homeowner’s covers anything from the house. It looks as though, if the leak is where we think it is, we’re on our own. Hubby is looking for a plumber as I type.

Goodbye savings, hello ramen!


P.S.
I am still holding onto the hope that Hubby is wrong and everything will turn out juuuuust fine!

0 Talk To Me: