Thursday, January 20, 2011

21 Months

I don’t think I was ever really aware of the swift passage of time before I became a parent. Days often felt like months and now it seems as though time is slipping through my fingers. The date nights and girl time have just about come to a screeching halt and yet, somehow, the pace of life has quickened. Work days are often spent thinking about my baby toddler baby and how I’d much rather be spending the time snuggling or playing “buttball” (football) with him. And then, when the work day finally comes to an end, the majority of the evening is spent cooking, cleaning and bathing with a little mischief and laughter sprinkled in. Also, a lot of “NOOOOOOing and DON’T TOUCHing!”

I would prefer the opposite. Lots of mischief and laughter and little bits of cooking, cleaning, bathing, and working sprinkled in throughout the day (or week). Ahhh, yes. I can dream, can’t I? The lottery is 96M and I’ve got a ticket, people!!
2011 002
Well, all that just to say that Haeden turned 21 months-old on Monday*. In just three short ones he will be 2, you guys! Thinking about it makes my pulse quicken and my palms sweat. He really is at such a fun age and I’m sure that 2 will be great as well (when he’s not throwing himself on the floor or slapping me in the face), but I can’t help but notice how my heart aches just a little when I go through his baby pictures or see a pregnant lady waddling by. I don’t miss the sleepless nights, but I definitely feel the emotion well up inside when I think about the way I felt the first time they placed him in my arms. I don’t know if I’m ever going to experience that again and I’m struggling to be okay with that.
But in the mean time, life with Haeden is a whirlwind. This is what he’s been up to over the last month or two.

• As mentioned, he refers to football as buttball. And socks as cocks. Toddlers are comedic gold.
• Loves his new guitar (thanks Uncle Chris and Aunt Megan) and anytime he sees someone on TV with it, he grabs it out of his toy bin and mimics them… head bopping, foot tapping, bootie shaking. It’s priceless.
• If he calls you and you ignore him, he deals with this by simply getting louder and louder. Or, if you’re holding him, he grabs your face and turns your head so that you are facing him, also while yelling “Maaaaaaama!”
• Still loves to jump and now he’s added a little jiu-jitsu kick, too.
• Sings and hums to himself in the car or when he wants me to sing “bringing home a baby bumble bee”.
• Loves to wear hats! If you’re wearing one around him, he’s going to want to wear it. Oma has been whipping them up so that he has several crocheted ones to choose from! I think he needs a baseball cap, too!
• Favorite books are “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” (or anything by Eric Carle) and a Sesame Street foam book with inserts that he can pull out and chew on. Also, “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” which he just refers to as BOOM!
• When he’s sleepy, he rests his forehead against mine. It is the sweetest thing!
• And speaking of sweet, still gives hugs and kisses like it’s nobody’s business. Even the babysitter gushes over all the lovin’ he gives.
• Loves bath time, bubbles and brushing his teeth! (enjoying this while it lasts)
• Inherited his mama’s sweet tooth. And dada’s love of snacking.

That will just about do it for now! I don’t want you end up with a toothache (get it? cause he’s so sweet! haha!)**.
2011 005
*Happy Birthday to Auntie Robyn, too! Boop Boopy do!

** God, I’m corny.

1 Talk To Me:

Dan said...

We'll see if him holding the guitar like that means he'll be left-handed! Wahoo!