Tuesday, October 19, 2010

18 / 81

Sunday was Haeden's half-birthday and his Oma's (great grandma) actual birthday. What's even more fun is that Haeden is now 18 months-old and Grandma is 81! And a very young 81 at that! When she is not busy tripping over baby gates and breaking her wrist, you can find her out and about shopping, churchgoing, kicking middle-aged ass on the tennis courts and/or jamming ever so reverently on the piano/organ. Also, don't be alarmed if you see her yelling at the TV when anything political or sports-related is on or furiously beeping her horn at you when the light has been green for a millisecond or two. That's just how she rolls...

These two need a current photo shoot...
As for the half-birthday boy, he hasn't exactly been sitting around twiddling his thumbs (can you imagine?) over the past month. Oh no. He is a busy little bee, always buzzing from room to room, this book to that book, my arms to daddy's arms. He does not, cannot, sit still. Ever. And yes, I am about to get terribly cliche and ask you all where the hell does the time go?! I still cannot get over the fact that he is growing up so fast.  One year ago he was this sweet little roley poly:

Picture perfect!
And now, he's a running, jumping, card-carrying toddler! And a total mischievous little stinker at that! I don't even know where he gets that part from.  Whaaat, I don't?!

Still want to eat him up...

Anyway, in honor of  Haeden's half-birthday, I've made a little listy-poo of 18 things he's been up to or into over the last month:

1. Random hugs. I'm doing dishes or laundry or cleaning up after Haeden (hello OCD!) and suddenly I have  a little munchkin attached to my legs. He gives me a tight squeeze and then runs back into the other room to play. And then I melt.
2. Jumping off the ottoman like some kind of super-hero. Ready or not, here he comes!
3. Hitting his head against the wall so that he can get kisses for his "boo boo".
4. Sometimes he puts his hand on my cheek when I'm holding him. Again, I melt.
5. Looking for attention from strangers in stores/restaurants, he will squeal when people walk by and then stare at them hoping they'll respond.
6. Peek-a-boo. So freaking cute. It never gets old.
7. Crayons. Especially the way they taste.
8. Throat talking. This is what Daddy calls it. I don't know how to explain it other than to say that he tends to mimic sounds and tones instead of words. Instead of saying "thank you" he just makes the sound and it seems like it comes from his throat.
9. Very recently and most likely picked up from "school", he goes limp when he doesn't get his way. If I'm next to him and tell him no when he tries to grab something he can't have, he will sit down on my lap and then go limp and slowly slide off. SO hard to keep a straight face!
10. Big brothers, D & P, clap their hands together quickly and also on their thighs and Haeden tries to imitate them by slapping his hands on the floor because he pretty much misses his thighs altogether. It is hilarious. I have video, but not the ten years it takes to upload it. You'll have to use your imagination for now...
11. He gags himself. I don't know why and it freaks me out. He thinks it's funny, of course.
12. "Uh oh" and "Yeah". His favorite words. He will repeat "uh oh" for an entire car ride home and also answer every question with "yeah!".
13. Hugs and kisses. He is all about them. The hugs around the neck with a tight squeeze and the total open mouth kisses. Melted...
14. Takes a sip of juice/milk and immediately opens his mouth and lets it dribble right out. Not cute. My carpet has suffered immensely.
15. Repeating "doy, doy, doy, doy" everywhere. Not sure if this is a song or what, but it's funny!
16. Carrying around "buddy bear". This is the only thing he's really developed an attachment to other than his binky. It was given to us the day he was born and he has slept with it ever since.
17. Closing doors. He can't open many of them yet, but he would like to spend all day closing them. Except, since he can't open them he ends up stuck in the room all by himself.
18. Looooves bedtime. When I tell him it's bedtime he starts waving goodbye and runs to his room. Clearly, he is his mother's child!

This weekend we plan to head to the pumpkin patch and buy a potty. Stay tuned...

1 Talk To Me:

Amy Lynn said...

Love it! Can't wait to see pumpkin patch pictures!