Monday, October 11, 2010

Sorta, Kinda Fall

Fall is officially upon us! Well, technically speaking anyway. It was still a balmy eighty degrees this weekend, but there was a breeze! Saturday we actually had the door open all day long and no AC and it was glooorious! I always look forward to this time of the year, and I hope it lasts a while. Around these parts, fall is like a game of cat and mouse. I excitedly prepare for it as soon as the end of September rolls around; decorate the house and pull out the knee-high boots, thick tights and sweaters. But just as quickly as a cool day comes, it is gone in an instant. A chilly morning is replaced by a sweltering afternoon. You just never really know what you're going to get!

But no matter what the weather is like, decorating for fall is a must. Okay, well, it is from now on. Admittedly I haven't done a whole lot of it in the past, but as soon as I entered motherhood my inner wannabe-crafter was awakened. I'm still a beginner though, so when you compare what I've made to the pictures from the link with directions, try to stifle your laughter, please.

Behold! My fall yarn wreath. I first saw this on a blog I frequent and couldn't wait to make one of my own. Here's what I learned in the process:

1. Yarn is more expensive than I thought. Bummer.
2. Foam wreaths are kind of hard to find this time of the year. Apparently everyone and their mother wants to make their own?
3. This requires some patience. Patience is no virtue of mine. Might be why it pales in comparison to Amy's.


All of the stores are having 50% and more sales on all of their fall accessories. It's almost Halloween and clearly that means they have to make room for their Christmas decor. It's insane and a little irritating to walk down an aisle of stockings and ornaments the first week of October, but hey, if that means that I am getting this adorable pumpkin for less than ten bucks?! I'm all for it. 


We usually have a cute bowl sitting in the middle of the dining room table. I like it, but usually you cannot even see it because it has become the inevitable catch-all of mail, receipts, pens, etc. The only time it ever really gets moved is during the Christmas season, or when Dan buys me flowers. So, basically two or three times a year (just kidding, babe!). I originally wanted to find some ceramic pumpkins and gourds and just spray paint them a glossy white, a la Young House Love style, but I don't really have the time to go on a bargain hunt for them. What I did have time for was picking up the real thing, along with a good sized pumpkin, while grocery shopping. I do love to be efficient!  And I'm all about bringing the outdoors in with natural elements. We spruced up the arrangement with some faux fall leaves we scored for a dollar on a recent trip to JoAnn's Fabrics. Woot!

We had some extra leaves left over and went ahead and decorated the shelf behind the dining room table. I especially like the way they look in the vintage hurricane lamps. I also broke out the cricut and made the "Autumn" sign. The crappy picture doesn't do it justice, but I love it. The letters are cut out of a brown paper with little orange and yellow flowers. Anytime I can work some girlie flowers into the decor, I'm a happy girl! 


Well, other than the pumpkin pillow on the couch and Haeden's skeleton jammies, that about does it for us! Now to just sit back and wait for Mother Nature to tease us with some more autumn-ish weather...

0 Talk To Me: