Friday, June 24, 2011

Boys vs. Girls

Haeden's daycare is short a few kids right now and his teacher asked if it would be alright if she started working with him on potty training. She explained to me the reward system she used and said that even though he was still a bit young, she thought that he was smart enough to "get it". Even though he hasn't shown a whole lot of interest in sitting on the pot at home, I have absolutely no qualms with her giving it a shot. I told her that we'd follow her lead if she had any success.

I know that she rewards them when they use the potty and that she doesn't punish them in any way, shape or form when they don't. I have been in the room after one of the other kids used the potty and really got a kick out of the reactions I witnessed. A little boy went poo on the potty and when he came out (after washing his hands, of course) the teacher announced what he had done and all the kids cheered and clapped for him. Then I watched as my son, the cuddle bug that he is, ran over to give him a hug. It was ridiculously adorable.

Yesterday, on the way home, I was talking to Haeden about all the things we were going to do that night (eat pizza, go for a walk, go pee on the potty, take a bath, etc.). The following conversation took place:

Me: And you'll go pee on the potty!?
Haeden: Yeah! I'm a GOOD BOY!
Me: (laughter) Yes, you are!
Haeden: And Mommy a good boy, too!
Me: Well, Mommy's not a boy, Haeden. Mommy is a girl! Daddy, Daniel and Patrick are boys. Mommy, Nina, Nanny and Grandma Ellie are all girls.
Haeden: Girls?
Me: Yes.
Haeden: Ohhhhh. Mommy not a good boy. Mommy a good GIRL!

Later that night, he made sure to explain to everyone at the dinner table that Mommy was, in fact, not a boy. Oh, no! She was a GIRL!

That's my BOY!

2 Talk To Me:

Ashley said...

My daughter is interest in boy and girl "parts" right now. I guess it was bound to happen some time. Though I have a feeling boys dont really care about girl parts until they are teenagers! Ha!

Heather said...

hahaha That is so cute!