Sunday, September 5, 2010

Daycare Woes

A week ago Friday Haeden was being watched, as always, by my mom and grandmother. Mom starts work at one o'clock and Grandma comes over to take care of Haeden. They generally take a little snooze together and then have a snack and play until we get off work and pick him up. Actually, she usually leaves around 4:30ish and Mom takes a  lunch break until we arrive. She's a saint like that.

Anyway, last Friday I received a phone call from my step dad while I was at lunch. I missed the call originally and when I realized it was he who called, I didn't know whether to freak out or laugh. There are only two reasons to get a phone call from John. Emergency or accidental butt-dial.

I immediately called him back and had to choke back the tears while he told me everyone was on the way to the ER. Grandma had fallen (again) and not only had she broken her wrist, she had knocked Haeden over in the fall and was pretty much in shock. The paramedics were having a hard time getting a reading on her blood pressure, which was usually high. Although he was quite calm, I could hear the fear in his voice.

Fifteen minutes later, I arrived at the hospital. In fact, I ended up right behind the ambulance as I drove into the hospital parking lot. I hurriedly jog-walked over, hoping to catch them before they took her back. Being that I looked like a bit of a mad woman, the paramedic noticed me and told her I must be there for her since I had a very determined look on my face and I was coming right for them. Much to my relief, they waited and told me that her bp was under control now and she'd be just fine. And other than the fact that she's pissed she can't play tennis for a while, she is.

All of that just to say we have to put Haeden in daycare full-time. We found a licensed in-home daycare that will hopefully be a home away from home until he starts kindergarten. Or, better yet, until we win the lottery and Mama can quit her job! No more shopping sprees until then, I can tell you that much! But we all know that sweet little face is absolutely worth my lack of a stylish wardrobe!

Haeden goes to "Nana's" (that's what the kids call her) Tuesday. Wish us luck, please. This story is to be continued...

0 Talk To Me: