Thursday, September 9, 2010

Lookey what I made!

About a month or so ago I bought a clever little machine called a Cricut. It basically cuts out shapes, letters, animals, and pretty much anything you can think of as long as you have the cash to throw down for their cool, but expensive, cartridges. I had been coveting one of these since I saw the invitations and banner that a friend of mine made for her granddaughter's birthday. So, when it went on sale ($100 off!), I couldn't resist!

And holy WOW! This thing is pretty awesome once you figure it out. I may or may not have wasted a ridiculous amount of paper before the light bulb went on and I realized that although this thing doesn't come with nearly enough directions, I had the entire interweb at my disposal! There is a plethora of information on these things, of course. Even pictures of and instructions on how to create amazing cards. I don't really have the time (or patience) to sift through all of that though. I only have maybe an hour and a half increments to play with the darn thing, since anytime I try to do this when Haeden is around, he becomes obsessed with the electrical cord.*

A couple of weekends ago I came up with the idea to make a mobile using the Create-A-Critter cartridge. I ordered up a clip mobile that is meant for photographs or flash cards (also very cute idea) and spent Saturday night after Haeden went to bed and nap time on Sunday creating this:




Please excuse the crooked picture frame. Haeden can juuuuust about reach that now. But as for the mobile, I'm fairly proud! I could never have created this with scissors. I probably would have tried and then stabbed myself in the hand about halfway through from sheer (pun intended!) frustration. There are just so many things you could do with this machine. I'm thinking these little guys would look adorable framed, too! Maybe even print off the first letter of the animal name and make your own flashcard-inspired art!



* Will this child ever learn "NO!"?

0 Talk To Me: