Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Time to be Creative

Before Haeden was born I had plenty of time. Time to cook, time to clean, time to learn something new, to craft, to knit, whatever my heart desired. Of course, at that point in my life, I didn't really have any interest in those things! I was quite content to lay around the house watching TV every evening or stay in bed until 10am on the weekends.

Now that I have a 10 month-old gobbling up all of my time like an afternoon snack, I find myself constantly looking for more to do. I really don't know why that is since the only actual free time that I have any more is the hour and a half between Haeden's bedtime and my own. And yes, I have a bedtime. It's 10pm and it is quite imperative that I am in a deep sleep before 11pm. It's better for all of us that way. Trust me.

So, basically I have roughly an hour each night to relax with my Hubby, and instead I'm running around trying to cut and glue silhouettes of Haeden's perfect little profile, teach myself how to knit (that one isn't going so well), and make DIY greeting cards, invitations, etc. And since that isn't enough, I am going to learn to sew because I want to make Haeden's 1st birthday t-shirt and, of course, a multitude of other things!

I keep asking myself where this is all coming from. I know that part of the answer is just that I want to have a creative outlet. Or, in truth, I just want to BE creative. Sometimes I really feel that I am just fighting against the tide. I do believe that I'm more "left brained", meaning that I'm more logical in my thinking. I am not the type of person who generally comes up with new ideas. Hell, I have a hard time deviating from recipes!

I think creativity is a way of being. Maybe even a process. I hope that if I open myself up to it and also to the possibility of actually failing, it might become easier. More natural. It just might be that I am concentrating too hard on being creative. And where is the imagination in that?


*Edited to add: I realize that I started out talking about one thing and ended up on a different topic, but someone very wise recently told me that it's a blog, and it's my blog. I should write what I want because I'm not being graded! (Whew!)

3 Talk To Me:

Karrie Knight said...

hey i personally think that crocheting is easier than knitting.. i am trying to teach myself to knit as well i can do it but not without mistakes LOL.... if you ever need help let me know :) i used you tube a lot to see the stitches and stuff

Dan said...

I think that a blog should ramble a bit! It's a nice way to free-flow with your brain, laaave. Nice work so far. : )

felicia said...

well u certainly have writing skills, thats creative