Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Blended So Splendid




This was a fun day. One of those days that I will hold onto for a while. The kind you think back on when you're upset and irritable, having picked up half-full glasses of juice or dirty socks (OMG the smell that emanates from a pre-teen's foot... you can almost see it!) for the thousandth time.
I wish all of our days were like that. Everyone relaxed and smiling. But that's not life. It isn't always a walk in the park, folks.

You all know I'm a stepmom, right? It's hard. Probably  The hardest thing I've ever done. And what rewards there are come few and far between. Sometimes I worry that I might be considered the "Evil Stepmother" (thanks Disney!). But it's so hard (did I mention it was hard?) to know your place. Either I mother the boys and bake them brownies, do their laundry, help with the homework, or I neglect them. Like any kid, they need to be taught responsibility, proper manners, the importance of doing well in school.

But they already have a mother. I don't know whether or not she really deserves that title, but it's hers. We all know that is one thing that will never change. I can teach them things and I can love them, but I will never take her place. So, I am left with the same question. Where do I fit in? Am I a mother figure or am I a friend?  My guess is that I need to fall somewhere in-between. Easier said than done, my friends. I have a long way to go, but I'm working on it.

I can, however, share with you the one thing that I am sure of. The little reward that is so often hard to come by,? It is this:


These boys love their little brother. And he absolutely adores them. His little face lights up when they enter the room. The grins and giggles follow shortly after. It doesn't get a whole lot better than that.






0 Talk To Me: