Wednesday, August 17, 2011

VA Tripping: Part 2

Saturday was fuuuun – ish. We had planned on an easy bike ride on the Creeper Trail. Well, Robyn and I had planned on it being easy, but our husbands apparently had something else in mind. Their plan involved dirt, sweat and pain due to copious amounts of uphill bike riding. On rough terrain. Oh, and the fact that my eye was in the middle of spazzing out really wasn’t helping matters. I won’t go into details about the bike ride itself because I don’t really want to embarrass Robyn or myself, but let’s just say that a tear or two may have been shed. It really seemed like we’d never make it back to the car. Clearly we need to work on our cardio, sis.
"MINE"

Future mountain biker... I'd be excited too if I didn't have to "feel the burn"!

Horses make me giddy. I got a little too excited and these guys took off in a hurry.

By the time we made it back to the car, I was seriously considering eating my own leg. I settled for begging off a few Cheez-its from Haeden. Good thing I taught him to share. We ate at this fun little restaurant called Bellacino's. Apparently it is a chain, but we don’t have one anywhere near us, so it was a new and fun experience. Their menu was huge and the ingredients fresh. I confess to you now that I broke my veggie diet because they had taco pizza. TACO PIZZA. My two favorite meals come together as one and obviously I could not resist. Plus, it was a childhood favorite and yes, I totally get sentimental over greasy food that my mom, sister and I once shared on a regular basis.

After stuffing ourselves to the gills, we headed out to check out an old mill of some sort. This was one my Mom recommended to us. Her favorite part was apparently some dog that was there last time she went. That was enough to convince me we should go, but unfortunately there was no doggy this time. Dan loves old wooden structures though, so it was a good experience for him just the same.

Me and H avoiding the camera!

Gorgeous!

 Piggy back ride with Aunt "Ronin"

Seesters. 

H and Daddy walking the trails. 

Dan is so good at capturing the details. Lovely shot!

Checking out the accompanying country store. I really wanted that bonnet! ha!

That night we made a wonderful dinner that consisted entirely of things picked from Robyn and Josh's garden. Okay, okay - with the exception of the macaroni and cheese, but what do you expect with a toddler in the house?! It was probably the most delicious dinner I have ever had. I think we can all agree that eating "fresh" food is great... but actually picking it from your own garden makes it about ten times greater in my opinion. I have been wanting to have my own garden for years and that experience just pushed me over the edge and Dan along with me. We're now eagerly looking for books on Florida gardening. I know it isn't going to be easy, especially considering we can barely keep our grass alive in this heat, but I know it's possible, so we'll hope for the best. Even if we do succeed, I know that our bounty will never be quite like this...


The garden.

Picking tomatoes with Robyn.

 "I did it myseeeelf!!"

I love this shot simply for the background "detail". Where's Waldo ('s butt!)?! ha!

 YUM!

Squash!

Spicy banana pepper. Didn't even know there was such a thing!

 H totally picked this and promptly bit into it. Can't take your eyes off that kid for 2 seconds!

 Clearly has no idea what to do with these things...

There were SO many!

Peelin' taters!

A rare shot of me actually workin' in the kitchen!

God bless the creator of the grill!



Finished product! Is your mouth watering yet?

Bet it is now!



I made the mistake of taking the corn off the cob for Haeden. Apparently that was the wrong thing to do. He took a couple of bites off his plate and then grabbed the cob off of Robyn's plate and told her it was his. She got another one and then then once he finished with the first he slyly stuck it back on her plate and stole the new one telling her, "This mine. That one is yours!" Ha! 

I won't tell you how many days it took before we stopped revisiting that corn...

I know you can't tell from all of the lovely pictures, but throughout the day my eye continued to get worse and worse. First it was blurry and watery. Then it got red. And then, finally, it got to be very painful and swollen. I wrestled with the idea of going to the ER, but in the end, between discussing it with my Mom (Dr. Mom as my friends and I call her) and someone from my insurance's nurse line, I decided it was best not to chance it with my eyesight.

Have you ever been to the ER in a very rural area? It was quite the experience...



0 Talk To Me: