Thursday, May 13, 2010

Birth Story- Part Deux

I had no plans to go back to work that afternoon. Instead, I went home to take a nap and wallow in my self pity. When Dan got home he came in to assure me that I would not, in fact, be pregnant forever. He tried to remind me I could go into labor at any time. He suggested we go for a walk before getting ready for Stephanie's birthday dinner that evening. I pouted and told him there wasn't really any point because I had been walking the entire pregnancy and it didn't seem to be doing me any good! After a little bit of coaxing I gave in and waddled around the block for the very last time.

We met up with some people at 7pm to celebrate my friend, Steph's, 26th birthday. Her actual birthday is the first week of May, but she decided to have the dinner early just to make sure we'd be able to attend. Obviously Dan and I are the life of every party. haha! The dinner was at Cantina Laredo which is basically a fancy restaurant that serves over-priced Mexican food. Around 8:30pm, right after we ordered our desserts, I felt a little... something. I ignored it the first time, it was just a trickle. I told myself that I was probably laughing and just lost control a little bit. A few minutes later I felt it again. A little more this time. The wheels in my head started turning and I started to panic. I leaned over to Dan and whispered, "Either I am losing control of my bladder, or my water just broke."  He looked at me and laughed, obviously thinking I was making a joke. I told him I was serious and got up to go to the bathroom to check things out.

I will spare you the details of that trip. Basically, I was afraid that I had really lost control of my bladder. I did not want to go to the hospital only to be told that I peed myself! I had heard that it happens quite often! I also had expected that if my water would  break on it's own that it would be more of a gush, not the slow leak that I was experiencing. You know, like in the movies. Thanks, Hollywood!

I came back to the table and told Dan that I still wasn't 100% sure. At that point, only one other person was aware of what was going on. Dan wanted to go ahead and go, but I didn't want to cut Stephanie's evening short since we were driving her home. We kept it on the down low and thankfully the check came only a few minutes later. Dan held my trembling hand and as we made our way outside, I thanked God that I had worn black pants. Once outside one of the girls wanted to get everyone together for some group photos. We tried to politely decline and told them we really had to get going. When she kept insisting we finally blurted out that my water had broken inside the restaurant and we needed to get home and call the doctor.

After all the cheers and hugs, we nervously raced home and did just that...

0 Talk To Me: