Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Birth Story- Part 1

On the afternoon of Thursday, April 16th, I had a routine OB check-up. At 38 weeks pregnant, I was totally pumped for it, too. Two weeks earlier they had checked to see if I was dilated, and much to my surprise I was 1cm. Now, anyone who knows anything about being pregnant is well aware that that doesn't mean anything. You can walk around at 3cm dilated for a few weeks and still give birth a week later than your due date. But when you are nearing the end of your pregnancy, all of that logical thinking goes right out the window. You hang on every word that has anything to do with progress!

I headed to my appointment hoping, and quite frankly expecting, to hear that I was progressing. I was counting on at least 3cm. Well, first things first, they weighed me.  I was up to 180lbs. My goal was to stay under 40lbs gained and that number was quickly approaching with two weeks to go. Then I waddled down to the exam room and prepared myself for the rather uncomfortable poking and prodding that was to come. This appointment happened to be with my least favorite doctor in the practice. She came in and we listened to the heart beat (music to my ears!) and then she checked my measurements. For the second time in a month she mentioned that she thought the baby was going to be small. She didn't really say it in a negative way, but that is, of course, how I took it. Then she "checked" me and told me that I was still at 1cm, but possibly starting to efface. What?! How could that be?! No progress in two weeks?! Two friggin' weeks?! Ugh!

I left the office with an appointment to come back in a week. I immediately called my Mom and Dan to tell them the news. I was a big fat fatty who was going to stay pregnant forever...

1 Talk To Me:

Stephanie said...

You are too funny! You were never a fatty silly girl. You were beautiful :)